Many beverages which are labelled as fruit drinks contain mostly water, and artificial sugar and only 5-10% of actual fruit. By definition juice is the liquid that is naturally contained in the tissues of fruits or vegetables. Thereafter the Juice is prepared by mechanically squeezing the fruit or vegetable flesh without any application of heat or using solvents. Organic Fruit drinksare not the same as fruit juices and organic juices is not the same as fruit juices.
The fruit drinks that we find commercially contain less of real fruit juice. These “fruit” beverages offer little nutritional value due to addition artificial sweetening and colouring agents and are usually flavoured sugar water. They are stripped of vitamins that pure fruit juices naturally provide. But drinking organic fruit juices is a wonderful way to get some of your vital vitamins and minerals for the day.
The artificial fruit drinks come in various avatars like “fruit drink”, “fruit punch”, “fruit cocktail”, “beverage”, “fruit ade”.These are not 100% juice – instead they’re junk fruit beverages.
Organic facts on Juice Drinks
If you examine the ingredients in fruit juice. You will come across some common agents which when ascertained can help us to differentiate between artificial fruit drinks and organic real juice. Avoid flavoured fruit beverages that have fructose corn syrup.
Mostly if you look at the juice, if its cloudier the juice, then the juice is more nutritious, Also some sediment at the bottom indicates real fruits used for juice
Nutritional Facts on Organic fruit juices.
Citrus Fruit juices:
Orange juice, grapefruit juice are few examples.
Orange juice is one of the most nutritious juices available. It is an excellent source of vitamin C , folic acid and potassium, orange juice also is a known good source of folate and thiamin.
Apricot, Pears, Peaches and Prunes.
These fruits have usually more calories. Apricot nectar mostly contains a lot of beta-carotene, and almost a gram of protein per ounce glass, and it’s higher than most juices in vitamin A, vitamin B-6 and iron.
Freshly squeezed real juices contain more vitamin C than canned or frozen juices.
Grades of Organic Fruit Juices:
All organic products, including organic fruit juices, have been allotted grades to help customers know what actually they are purchasing.
- Hundred Percent Organic Fruit Juices: When the packets of fruit juices have this tag, it means that they are made entirely from Organic Fruits and every drop is organic.
- Organic Fruit Juices: This means at least ninety five percent of the contents are organic and the rest are from fruits that are grown on allowable synthetic substances.
- Contains Organic Fruit Juices: This indicates that seventy five percent to ninety five percent of the contents are organic and the rest are from fruits that are grown on allowable synthetic substances.
Certified Organic Fruit Juices:
Not all fruit juices that have “Pure Organic Fruit Juice” tags on them are really “Organic”. They must be certified for authenticity & grade (stated above) by a recognized certifying agency. There are different agencies, independent or Govt. owned, function in different parts of the world. However, we have managed to list some of the most heard names here.
- USDA National Organic Program (NOP)
- European Organic Regulations (EU 2092/91)
- Export Certificates for Japan (JAS Equivalent)
- Indian National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP).
- Quebec Organic Reference Standard (CAAQ)
- Bio Suisse Standards
- IOFAM Basic Standards
Health Benefits of Organic Fruit Juices:
When talking of health benefits, we shall consider only hundred percent organic fruit juices here. Here is a whole list of health benefits;
- Organic Fruit Juices are free from the toxic residues of artificial fertilizers, herbicides & pesticides that the conventionally grown fruits pick up during cultivation.
- They are also free from the synthetic colours, flavouring agents,artificial sweeteners, stabilizers and preservatives that are added in non organic fruit juices during processing.
- During the process of concentration & reconstitution of fruit juices, the residual chemicals in conventional fruit juices multiply manifold, for obvious reasons. But in case of Organic Fruit Juices, there is no such threat.
- The micro – nutrients & phyto – nutrients present in Organic Fruit Juices, although reduced considerably, still remain in packaged Organic Fruit Juices after processing. Whereas, they are next to nil in packaged conventional fruit juices.
- The quality of Organic Fruit Juices, in terms of nutrient content, flavour & taste, is far better than those non organic fruit juices.
- Another important factor is the presence of antioxidants. The Organic Fruit Juices are far richer in antioxidants than ordinary fruit juices. These antioxidants can delay ageing and also protect us from certain types of cancer. On the contrary, the harmful residues of synthetic substances in ordinary fruit juices can even cause cancer in the long run.
- In case of Organic Fruit Juices, care is taken to ensure the packaging material is also organic to possible extents. On the other hand, the conventional fruit juices are sometimes packed in such packages (metal cans, plastic containers etc.) which themselves prove to be a source of toxins. Metal cans are often sources of lead poisoning. Certain chemicals dissolve in the acidic juices from the plastic containers too, making the contents not fit for use.
- Organic Fruit Juices are safest for babies, pregnant women, patients etc.
- Organic Fruit Juices come from original fruits only, i.e. they are not genetically modified or tempered with. That way, what you get is hundred percent pure. The threat with genetically modified foods is that sometimes these modifications tend to alter the consumer’s genetic structure, thus paving way for possible genetic deformities in future.
Other Benefits of Organic Fruit Juices:
Organic Fruit Juices are not only beneficial for our health, but they are very beneficial for our environment too. Right from growing the fruits till packaging the organic fruit juices, the whole process remains environment friendly because, as stated above, no artificial fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, preservatives & other industrial chemicals are used on them and they are not genetically modified too. This means, Organic Fruit Juices are no way obstructing the natural processes. They do not pollute environment like conventional crops do and they help keep the original genes of the fruits intact.
Our Role: Our role here is to support Organic Fruit Juices for a good cause. They may cost a few bucks more than the ordinary ones, but that is worth when it comes to keeping your health & environment safe.